Below is a list of valuable pennies including error coins and rare pennies. But first you need to know about some pennies that aren’t very valuable pennies yet, but have great potential in becoming valuable down the line.
Regardless if you decide to collect pennies, you should be on the lookout for these coins as you’re looking through your change.
These pennies are worth more than face value now and have a possibility in increasing in value as they become rarer.
All Wheat Pennies. They are all worth around three times the face value unless they are worn out or really damaged.
Pennies Dated Before 1982. In ‘82, the composition was changed to 2.5% copper and 97.5% zinc. Previously issued pennies were 95% copper. The make-up was altered because of the fact that the over 94% copper coins had more than one cent worth of copper making them too pricey to produce.
OK, here’s the list. You know what? You might discover some invaluable pennies that are worth several hundred or thousands of dollars.
- Valuable Lincoln Memorial Cents – (1959-2008)
- Rare Wheat Pennies – (1909-1958)
INDIAN HEAD TYPE 1859 – 1909
- 1860 Pointed bust
- 1864 L must show
- 1869 over 9 (the 9 is doubled on some varieties)
- 1873 Doubled LIBERTY
- 1873 Open 3
- 1888 over 7
- 1894 Doubled date
Flying Eagle Cents (1856-1858) – Keydates
- 1856 – only about 1,500 are known
Large Cents (1793-1857) – Keydates
- FLOWING HAIR, CHAIN TYPE REVERSE, 1793
All these are considered rare and valuable pennies:
- FLOWING HAIR, WREATH TYPE REVERSE, 1793
- 1793 Vine and bars edge
- 1793 Lettered edge
- 1794 Strawberry leaf: only 4 known to exist
- LIBERTY CAP TYPE 1793-1796
- 1793 Liberty Cap
- 1794 with the “Head of 1793”
- 1794 Stars on reverse